Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buy Your Genealogy Supplies Now

It's back to school season. Which is bad because it means I have to go back to work and not work on genealogy all day long. But it's also one of my favorite times of year because of all the deals on office supplies. I love office supplies. I try to convince my husband that I need more Post-It notes and binders and pens at least once a month (probably more like weekly). Of course he has to ask what I need them for and "because" isn't a good enough answer for him.

Anyway, back to the deals. Now is the time to buy your binders, pens, pencils, Post-It notes, notebooks, dividers, paper and more. I check the ads in the paper every Sunday to find out what I can get for cheap to replenish my office supply stash. And this is the time of year to find the best deals. Wait another month or two and you'll have to pay $2 for a spiral notebook that you can get for 25 cents right now.

Plan out what you think you will need for the next year of genealogy research and see what is on sale now. What do you need to organize you files? What do you need to take with you to conferences to take notes? Are you running low on pens and pencils? Do you need more Post-It notes? (I do.)

Dealnews did a study on computer deals and found that August and September are the best times to buy a laptop. I follow the Dealnews RSS feed to check all kinds of deals daily. Its great for deals on all kinds of products online and off, but you have to have self-control. Otherwise you want to buy SD cards every time you see them for sale (like my husband).

If something isn't on sale, try waiting another week. Just try to keep your office supplies containable so that you don't get injured when you open up a closet. You don't want to have to stop working on your genealogy because of a Post-It note attack.

If you find a good deal, leave a comment and share it with the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment