Saturday, September 12, 2009

October is Family History Month in Indiana

October is Family History Month and it's just around the corner. The Allen County Public Library recently posted their October events calendar and it is packed full of great learning opportunities. They have an event for each day of the month. Most of the sessions are free.

I will be attending the 2nd Annual Military Symposium on October 9 and 10. This year's theme is Military Lineage Societies and it features Ron Darrah. The cost is $30 before September 25, $35 after and $40 at the door. (I am already paid.)

I am also going to attend the Scrapbooking session with Dawne Slater-Putt on October 17. I will also be at the ACGSI (Allen County Genealogical Society of Indiana) meeting on October 14.

There are many other sessions that I am interested in attending, but may not be able. I would love to attend the session on "House History," "Being Creative," "Ellis Island," and more, but they are all during the day on weekdays and I can't justify taking the whole month of October off to attend all of these great session.

I really wish that more of the sessions were in the evenings. I don't need (or even want) to attend every session. But I feel as more and more people are getting involved in genealogy over the internet the demographics of the people has changed. It's not just retirees who have nothing to do during the day doing research. I think many more people would attend these session and others across the country if they had the time available.

But that is a rant for another day. Back to Family History Month...

I am also considering attending the Indiana Genealogy and Local History Fair at the Indiana State Library in Indianapolis on October 24th. The cost is great...it's free. (That's the main reason that I want to attend, followed closely by an interest in the topics." They will be discussing cemeteries, women in 19th century Indiana and pioneer migration.

What will you be doing this Family History Month? Leave a comment and let others know.

No comments:

Post a Comment