Thursday, October 1, 2009

What I Found When I Organized my EISWERTH Line

This is part two in my series of how I am reorganizing, resourcing, and reanalyzing my sources in my genealogy database. Technically it is part three because I first started the series with explaining what I was going to do. The first post about my findings was about my SUCKLING line. I have split the task of going through my files and sources by my four grandparents.

Yesterday I finished my paternal grandfather's line: the EISWERTH family. This family was pretty easy to complete because there was only 4 family groups to "fix". The DINCHER family came to the US from Germany in the mid-1800s. Lewis EISWERTH came around 1868 from Germany and married Mary DINCHER. They had a son Edward EISWERTH who married Angela Catherine COUCHIE whose parents came from Austria in 1892/3.

Even though this is my surname line, I really don't have much on them because I haven't been able to get any of them aboard a ship, let alone across the Atlantic Ocean.

I didn't find anything new with the EISWERTH and DINCHER lines. Just cleaned up the database and added the sources for a few spouses that I had previously neglected.

I did finally decide that my grandfather was never recorded in the 1930 census. His parents are found in Limestone township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania living with Edward's sister, Agnes. But my 9-year old grandfather is not found with them. I'm not sure where he was, but I can't find him. I'll have to wait for the 1940 census to finally have a record of him in the census, I guess.

My main success was with the COUCHIE family. This family has some surname issues. I'm still not sure which one is right and which one they actually used. Angela says her maiden name is COUCHIE on her SS-5. She also says that she was born in East Palestine, Columbiana county, Ohio. I had easily found her and Edward living with her widowed mother and 2 siblings in the 1920 census, but could not find them before or after that. I also knew that the family had used the surname KAVCIC from a cousin's research.

I decided to start a new search over the weekend by looking for children in the 1900 census whose name started with "Ang" and who were born in 1900. I also used the keyword May, since that was the month that Angela was born and the months were all recorded in the 1900 census. I looked in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I was then able to find Angala Kavcee (probably KAVCEC) in Darlington township, Beaver county, Pennsylvania (link to entry on Ancestry) with her father Enos and mother Apolonia. Darlington township is right on the border of Pennsylvania and Ohio and nearby East Palestine, Ohio. Angela's brother Charles is listed as born in Ohio and the other children were born in Pennsylvania.

Then I search the 1910 census in Beaver county for the family. This time they are listed under the surname
"Courchene" (link to Ancestry entry). Enos died in 1908. In 1910, Apolinia, 51, is listed as married for a second time for one year (married about 1909) to a Frank who is 26. This is the first record that gives the COUCHIE (or a varient of) surname. Is this Frank's surname that the family adopted or did they change it and his surname is not recorded? Or was Frank a relative of Enos and had the same surname?

I searched for the Beaver county, PA genealogy and found the naturalization records for the county were available online. I was able to find Enos' naturalization with the surnames KAIJIJ and KAVCHICH in 1903. I had found a listing for him in the index of Columbiana county, Ohio naturalizations, but hadn't gotten around to ordering an original copy. It seems that Enos started the application process in Columbiana county (declaring intent) and finished it in Beaver county (obtaining naturalization). Documents from both counties are in the file.

Enos' tombstone reads KAVCIC. So where and when did COUCHIE/COUCHE (two brothers used two different spellings) originate? This family confuses me.

I did find Apolonia COUCHEE in the 1930 census in Cleveland living at the Little Sisters of the Poor. This allowed me to find her Ohio death certificate in Cuyahoga county (no wonder I couldn't find it in Columbiana county) in 1945. It lists her parents as Herman or Verne BRECHT and Mary BRECHT. Angela's SS-5 gives Apolonia's maiden name as ALBRECHT and her sister Helena's death certificate in 1916 (cause of death: "violent death from being run over by a train") gives the maiden name as
ALGBRETH.

The best part about doing this line was using Find A Grave. At the beginning of September a researcher had added the transcriptions for St. Mary's Cemetery in East Palestine, Ohio. I knew this was where much of the family was buried through a cemetery transcription book. I took a chance and requested photos and the NEXT day, I was rewarded with photos of Enos' gravestone and 3 of Angela's sisters' stones. Apolonia's name had been added much later to Enos' stone and also she also shared a stone with her daughter Anna who died in 1993. Helena KAVCIC BOGATAY and Mary KAVCIC TROBEC's stones were also added.

This project has show me how much I have grown as a researcher. My search abilities have definitely improved. I can't tell you how many times I tried to find that family in the 1900 census and eventually gave up. The simple addition of the month as a keyword gave me instant results.

I still have a lot of work to do to figure out this KAVCIC/COUCHIE/however-they-spell-it family and also to hopefully find passenger lists and naturalization documents for these German families and get them across the pond. But right now it is time to start tackling the ECK line.

No comments:

Post a Comment