Friday, December 4, 2009

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Christmas Cards

Day 4 of the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories made possible by Geneabloggers.December 4 - Christmas Cards Did your family send cards? Did your family display the ones they received? Do you still send Christmas cards? Do you have any cards from your ancestors?

My family has always sent Christmas cards. We would set up a production line at the kitchen table. My dad would be the one to write any messages in the cards and put the address on the envelope. Then my brother and I would put on the stamp and return address. I don't really remember my mom helping at this stage, but she was always the one to buy the cards during after Christmas sales.

The cards would end up in a basket on the fireplace. I loved getting the mail during December and opening all of the Christmas cards. It was always exciting to see all of the different cards. My uncles would send us funny ones many times and those were the best.

When I scanned my grandfather's WWII photos, I found a few copies of the ones that the men had sent from the Aleutian Islands in Alaska.


Today I still send cards, but not nearly as many as my parents send. I keep the list short with only close family and friends. And I still enjoy getting the cards in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment