Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dad's Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - The Christmas Tree

Yesterday I emailed my dad a link to the Geneabloggers Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories, and he emailed me back and has decided to participate. So I'll be posting both my memories and his Christmas memories. I already posted about my Christmas Tree memories, so here are his.

"December 1 - The Christmas Tree
Did you have a real tree or was it artificial? How big was the tree? Who decorated the tree? What types of Christmas trees did your ancestors have?"

Usually on the Saturday or Sunday right after Thanksgiving, we would start decorating the house for Christmas. We had real trees for several years, but bought a six foot tall artificial tree on sale after Christmas one year. It was a pretty tree and looked very full and real. It also helped eliminate the clean-up of needles that were all over the house from the real trees. Everyone helped decorate the Christmas tree, and we always tried to find a new ornament or two each year to add to our collection.


Since we had many farmers in the earlier family, I’m sure they picked and cut their own trees for Christmas decorating. I remember my grandfather (who we called Pop-Pop) in his later years decided to get an artificial all aluminum tree that he decorated. He then kept all together after Christmas in an upstairs bedroom until the next Christmas season to same time re-decorating it.

I hope that other bloggers will use these questions to learn more about how their ancestors spent their Christmases.

No comments:

Post a Comment