Wednesday, January 13, 2010

52 Weeks of Better Genealogy - Week 2 - Local History

It's Week 2 of 52 Weeks of Better Genealogy. This week's topic is:

Go to your local public library branch again. Examine the local history, archives and/or special collections section. Ask a librarian if you don’t know if your library has special collections or where they are located. Be sure to check the reference section, too, as many of the newer and more valuable books are held in that area. If you have a genealogy blog, write about what you find in your library’s local history and special collections.

So once again my library is the Allen County Public Library. Second largest genealogy collection means tons of local history books. Since the only one in my family who has ever lived in Fort Wayne or even northern Indiana is me, I decided to highlight some of the books from the counties where I do lots of research.

There are 13 books for Switzerland county, Indiana history. 12 books of Ohio county and 14 for Dearborn county. Of course I wish there were more, but not much has been published on these counties. Plus the fact that these are all available in one place with tons of other resources is just great (now if I can only get all the microfilm, then I'll be in business).

History of Dearborn, Ohio and Switzerland Counties, Indiana : From their earliest settlement, containing a history of the counties, their cities, townships, towns, villages, schools, and churches ... biographies : ... history of the North-west territory, the state of Indiana, and the Indians (1885) has helped me a lot in my research on these counties.

One of the great things about the ACPL catalog is that it will link you to books that they have digitized at Internet Archive. (Or at least it did because I can't make it come up on any books.) You can check out all the books that ACPL has digitized here. I subscribe to the RSS feed so I know as soon as new books are available.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited by all the digitized material that is coming online. This was great information to put in your post - especially for beginning genealogists who might not be aware of these valuable resources.
    Good luck with your 52 weeks... or however many that you do!
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete