Monday, January 11, 2010

The Changing of the Blog

One of my New Year's Resolutions for 2010 was to figure out the direction for this blog. When I started this blog at the end of June 2009, I wanted a place where I could voice my ideas about the genealogy industry. I titled my new blog "Tina's Genealogical Wish List" and started blogging some of my ideas. I started off strong and then decided to go in another direction.

I felt that with two genealogy blogs I was neglecting one for the other. I started mixing up my family research into my "industry rant" blog. I wanted to participate in more genealogy memes and didn't know which blog "deserved" the posts more. As I try to get more readers, I feel that it is time to change my focus.

One of the things that I have enjoyed and have gotten a lot of comments are my to do lists each month. With this in mind, I have decided to simplify the name of the blog to "Gen Wish List" (plus it matches the URL) and change the motto to "Where Genealogy Goals Meet Reality".

I think that the new motto will serve this blog well. Any place where what I want to do with my genealogy research and reality don't match will find a place on this blog. This includes but is not limited to:
  • my own research goals
  • online databases
  • genealogy software
  • libraries
  • societies
  • technology
  • ancestors who do not want to be found
As for blog posts, you probably won't see any changes (except hopefully more posts as I try to add some priority to the blog). When I want to discuss something in the genealogy industry, I will. When I want to talk about my own research, I will. When I want to pester my dad until he gives me more stories, those will also be posted.

To simplify my genealogy presence, I have also changed my twitter account name. You can now follow me @genwishlist. I also created a LinkedIn profile.

I hope you like the changes here and aren't too confused by the name changes. Please leave me a comment with your thoughts or send me an email at genwishlist@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Tina,
    Love your new look and direction. Thanks for the lead on a new template for the California Genealogical Society and Library blog. I've been searching for simple and clean and this is perfect. Seems we are both working on "branding."

    ReplyDelete