Monday, January 4, 2010

The Marriage of George E HILLIS and Mary S WASHBURN

My #1 brick wall ancestor has been George E HILLIS. I have not found any original sources that list the name of his parents and I haven't wanted to leap to conclusions too fast.

I found the marriage of George HILLIS and his wife Mary Susan WASHBURN in an index of Hamilton county, Ohio marriage records months ago, but never too the time to obtain the original. This changed last week when the Hamilton County Probate Court announced that they had digitized over a million documents.

Armed with the volume and entry number of their marriage record, I easily found it in the database. Did it give me any new information? No. But I was pretty sure that it wouldn't tell me the names of George's parents in a marriage record from 1886. But now I have the original document and KNOW what it says and doesn't say.

It's great that I finally have this document (and have been finding other great information on my family from this website) but there is one problem. Once again I find myself thinking that if I just wait long enough everything will be online and I shouldn't have to order any microfilm now. I just need to keep reminding myself that I don't want to wait to further my ancestral lines (and keep my new year's resolutions).

If you know more about the George HILLIS family, send me an email to genwishlist@gmail.com and let's see what we can find together!

No comments:

Post a Comment