Monday, January 4, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - Remembering Angela Catherine COUCHIE EISWERTH

One of my new year's genealogy resolutions was to obtain more family stories. Thomas MacEntee must have known just what I needed to accomplish this goal, since he instituted a new geneablogger theme. Sundays are now Sentimental Sundays.

So why am I posting this on Monday? Yesterday I emailed my dad and asked him to write stories for my blog from his own memories. I really enjoyed the stories that he gave me for the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories and I hoped that he would continue to feed more stories my way. This morning I found a great surprise in my inbox: 3 stories from dad.

Here is the first one:

Remembering my paternal grandmother by Jim Eiswerth

My paternal grandmother was Catherine (Couchie) Eiswerth. She was a relatively tall woman about 5 feet 10 inches in her prime, and even though my dad, Joseph, was relatively short at 5 feet 8 inches during his prime years. Everyone says I got my 6 feet 3 inch height from the mailman or Grammy Eiswerth’s side of the family. Her brother, Charles, was also fairly tall, although her sister Anna was much shorter and more like my dad.

There are several things that I remember most about my Grammy Eiswerth. She loved us grand kids and liked to teach us different things. She had tremendous patience. Having lived on a farm, she loved to garden and grow things, and she would work with each of us kids to plant, weed, and eventually harvest. You name it we grew it in a big garden next to our home. Also when we were young, she would take us kids for a week vacation to where she worked as cook/housekeeper for St. John’s parish church in Susquehanna, Pennsylvania. That was about a 3 hour ride from our home town. All summer long she would drive back and forth to swap kids for their rotational week with Grammy. We got to meet Grammy’s friends, played bingo at the church hall, and when we were a little older we got to help count church collections and even go to Binghamton, New York, to go shopping.

She had this maroon colored Ford Fairlane car that I think all us kids took our driver’s test. It did not have power steering, so the wheel was the size of a truck steering wheel. Although we had to take Driver’s Ed in high school, only Grammy was willing to actually let us drive her car to practice. Instead of yelling at us when we goofed up driving, she would laugh, and tell us when she was learning to drive their first car, a Model T, she drove it right through their front yard and over a stone fence into a corn field, because she forgot where the brake was. She became a good driver, and drove their farm produce to the Williamsport markets for sale. She must have been a good teacher too, because I don’t think any of us kids ever caused an accident.

1 comment:

  1. Neat! Thanks for sharing!

    Keep these ancestor stories coming!

    Bill ;-)

    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

    ReplyDelete