Saturday, January 2, 2010

SNFG: Best 2009 Genealogy Moment

This week Randy Seaver brings us another great Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. This weeks topic:

1) "What was your best Genealogy Moment during 2009?" This could be a research find, a fabulous trip, a found family treasure, etc. Your choice!

It's hard to choose just one thing that was the best from a year of great genealogy. But if I had to choose it would be finding out the real father of Mary RUSSELL. Of course it didn't make sense that she was born before her parents were married. Her mother Mehitable NOLAND had a "baseborn" child with Colbert ANDERSON.

This find was great for many reasons.
  1. I didn't have to waste years of research on the RUSSELL line only to discover that Moses RUSSELL was not Mary's biological father.
  2. A cousin told me about the find with a comment on this blog.
  3. Along with a source, I was able to find the original record on microfilm of the court case where Colbert ANDERSON was required to pay child support.
  4. Other great genealogist helped me to solve the transcription of the court record. (Thanks again Lori and Sheri!)
I hope that 2010 will give me lots more finds like this and lots more collaboration with other researchers!

No comments:

Post a Comment