Thursday, March 18, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 11 - TGF List

This week's 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy topic written by Amy Coffin is:

Read the back posts from the Transitional Genealogists Forum. This is a message board for genealogists who are taking the steps needed to become professional genealogists. Even if you aren’t interested in that goal, you will benefit from the questions and answers provided on this excellent discussion list. If you have a genealogy blog, write about a question or subject from this board that was helpful for you.

I have subscribed to this list since this summer and have just lurked. Sometimes I find the discussions helpful, but often I just delete the emails. I love when the discussion focuses on research challenges. I love when new resources and books are discussed. I hate when it focuses on who is better or what organization is better. I also don't really like the email list format. It seems so outdated. It seems like the same few people control the lists most of the time. And I will never understand why people don't change the subject line from "digest mode" or change the subject line every time they post.

That said, if you can have time to deal with all the junk and know how to use the delete button, the TGF list can be helpful in answering your research questions and problems involved with doing genealogy professionally. But if you get caught up in the stupid stuff, you may never want to do genealogy professionally.

1 comment:

  1. You nailed this one on the head! I was a subscriber also, but got very tired of the opinionated comments.

    ReplyDelete