Thursday, May 6, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 18 - Social Networking

I can't believe we are on Week 18 of Amy Coffin's wonderfully written 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy series. This week's challenge is:

Dip your toe in the social networking pool. Genealogists are some of the friendliest people on the block. Networking with them by using “social” web sites will help your research and provide you with new friends. If you’ve never used social networking tools, this Social Networking in Plain English video by Common Craft is a good place to start. Picture the ways you can use social networking to meet and collaborate with other genealogists. Some of the more popular social networking sites are Facebook, Twitter and even Linked-In (though this site is more business-like in its purpose). You do not have to join these sites if you do not feel comfortable doing so, but you should at least know they exist and that they can benefit genealogy research. Those that are well-versed in social networking can refer others to the video. Bloggers are encouraged to discuss how they use various social networking sites in their own research.

After 3 weeks of Amy giving me tasks that I had put off, we finally come to an easy week. I love social networking with genealogists. I love not doing my research in a hole. I love instantly sharing with other what I have been researching and when I am doing a genealogy happy dance.

Facebook allows me to share my blog with all of my friends (not just my genealogy buddies). It surprises me when someone at work mentions that they read it. Hopefully I can get more people interested in their own genealogy.

I use Twitter primarily for genealogy. I link to my newest blog posts and tell everyone what I am working on that day. I love the conversation that is always taking place between genealogists there. It also allows me to find new genealogy blogs to read.

I signed up for Linked In when I renamed this blog. But I really haven't used it. I'm sure that it will come in handy someday.

Please feel free to join me on these social networking sites. Below are links to all my pages. Hope to see you there!
Facebook - Tina Eiswerth Lyons
Twitter - @genwishlist
LinkedIn - Tina Lyons

No comments:

Post a Comment