Thursday, May 13, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 19 - Military Records

Challenge 19 of 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy by Amy Coffin is:

Examine the “Genealogy and Military Records” page on the National Archives page. (Non-U.S. folks: examine the military records information from your country’s national archives.) Click the links and read everything you can. If you’ve ordered a military file before, read this page again and refresh you memory so you can help others. Authors of genealogy blogs can write about records they’ve received, comment on the National Archives page, or ask questions of their readers via their blog.


The National Archives page about military records is excellent and I recommend that everyone take a look at it if you have any military ancestors in your family tree.

I have used the online ordering available at the bottom of this page to order 2 civil war pension files for my ancestors. One, for Robert Bruce BASCOM, is missing. Somehow NARA has misplaced it. Apparently they left a note in the right place that they should let me know if they ever find it. Yippee! The other file I ordered was for Francis Marion WASHBURN. That one I received as a PDF on a CD. I chose the PDF option because I didn't want to have to scan the entire file when someone else would do it for me.

While we are on the topic of military records from NARA, Michael John Neill wrote a blog post recently about the civil war pension payment cards. The Allen County Public Library had their microfilms of this record set scanned and they are available at Internet Archive. Michael's post explains how to get to find your ancestors in these records.

I was able to find the payment cards for Robert Bruce BASCOM's widow, Olive BOVARD. So at least I have something about his pension now.

No comments:

Post a Comment