Thursday, May 20, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 20 - Land Records

Challenge 20 of 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy written by Amy Coffin is:

Play with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Government Land Office (GLO) Federal Land Records web page. This is a great resource. Your task this week is to explore the land patents and land surveys sections. Input some search terms and see what pops up. Don’t be afraid to click links and see what happens. You’ll be surprised by what you find. Genealogy blog authors can share what they find from this site on their blogs.

My ancestors barely made it to Indiana. They were so close to the Ohio border that their land records are listed in Ohio. This is a good reminder to read the FAQs when using a new database. The FAQ page for the BLM states that part of southeast Indiana is listed in the Ohio records. Why they can't list it as Indiana when the patents state that the land was in Indiana is beyond me.

One of the things that I need to do with these land patents is put my ancestors' properties on a map. I guess one of these days I will get around to that.

1 comment:

  1. I have awarded you the "Ancestor Approved Award" for your interesting blog. You can pick up your award on my blog -www. LordorLady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete