Friday, June 18, 2010

And The Brick Wall Came Tumbling Down

Yesterday I opened my mailbox and found:

The death certificate for George E Hillis. I learned his middle name was Elder. I learned his date of birth was 25 March 1857. But most importantly I found solid evidence that his parents were Joseph Hillis and Susan Morse. That means that the shaky leaf on my tree on Ancestry pointing to George in Boone county, Kentucky near the Joseph and Susan Hillis family was correct. It also means that all of that research I did trying unsuccessfully to connect my George and the George in the 1880 census together will make it easy to add this new family to my database.

I am so excited to finally have this piece of evidence. But there is one problem. Why didn't I ever think to get his Indiana death certificate before now? For one I didn't know his date of death. I finally found it this spring when I finally ordered some FHL microfilm. But for some reason I never considered that he would have a state death certificate. I hate to say that I think it's because it wasn't online.

8 comments:

  1. I feel you with the not ordering because it's not online. That's great you got the info you needed! I hope that now I've realized I should be ordering my great grandmother's death certificate from the city of Detroit and not the state of Michigan that I will now receive it and find out (I hope!) the names of her parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, it is always wonderful to get the actual certificate with some additional information you can use. I see, it also shows where he was buried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of tumbling bricks...even if it's only in my imagination! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Not to worry about why you didn't make the request sooner; the important thing is that you did it and got wonderful results!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats....I think I can see your smile over my computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats...that is so great...love those tumbling bricks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My research is all in Pennsylvania. Nothing is online!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Tina! I love knocking down those brick walls.

    ReplyDelete