Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Generations Project - Does Anyone Care About Regular People?

When Who Do You Think You Are? was on TV this year, everyone in the genealogy community was ecstatic. Everyone was tweeting and blogging about it. Everyone was commenting about each episode on Facebook. Radio shows were devoted to it. Everyone was excited to see genealogy on television.

Yet everyone complained that they wished that regular people were show on the episodes. There is another show that does this well. But for some reason the genealogy community doesn't talk about it. The Generations Project on BYUTV has been showing episodes about regular people doing their genealogy for the last 12 weeks. But I haven't little to no discussion about the show this season.

Does that mean that genealogists don't really care about watching regular people research their genealogy? If it's not on network TV during prime time, does it not matter? 

I've watched every episode of The Generations Project (25 episodes in 2 seasons). I watched them all online on their website. I have enjoyed watching real people research their ancestors' lives and learn more about themselves. Am I the only one that was watching? Why haven't you been watching?

I do have to mention that the publicity for the show this season was lacking. Their Facebook page was rarely updated. Plus they kept moving the start date of the season. Did everyone just forget about it or does no one really like it?

9 comments:

  1. I watched last year but haven't watched any episodes this year. To be honest I forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched many of them online, and enjoyed them far more than the WDYTYA series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the short answer is that no, if it's not on network TV during prime time, it doesn't matter (or won't garner much of an audience).
    I don't think most people watch TV shows on their computers and most cable plans don't include BYUTV. If the producers want a wider audience, they should try to make the shows available on more stations and alternate sources, e.g., to Netflix streaming subscribers, as a Roku channel, on iTunes (for Apple TV), on Zune (XBox Live), as a podcast, etc.
    If the show is currently available via those sources, then they need to post that on their website (I couldn't find it there). From soem web searching, I did find that apparently BYU TV is now beta testing a Roku channel, so that's a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the link! I have heard about the show but didn't know where to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably a very good question. But, truth be told, I've never seen the show. Very observant of you to mention this. I think with WDYTYA, we all watch it about the same time and talk about it within hours, it's all very easy. I doubt if I will watch the website tho, because I don't watch any show on a 22" screen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the show last year but the first couple of episodes this year just weren't very interesting to me so I haven't been watching. I should probably give it another try. Since I switched from cable to Dish, I actually get the BYU channel on TV now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen a couple episodes and enjoyed one, the other was boring to me. I have a hard time remembering when they are broadcast, and did not know I could watch them at their website. I use Roku so would probably watch this more often if I could do it on my schedule.

    I also enjoy WDYTYA and have no problem with it highlighting celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link. I don't have more than a couple of channels and didn't realize that these were available on the internet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been recording the episodes this season and watching as I get the time. I do enjoy the series.

    ReplyDelete