Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chipping at Brick Wall - Mary and Helena Kavcic passenger list

Yesterday I wrote about finding Apolonia Kavcic, wife of Enos Kavcic, on a 1893 passenger list. While writing the post, I started thinking. Where were her two daughters? One of the reasons that it took me so long to find Apolonia was that I kept searching for the family. I went back to my research and realized that Apolonia and Enos were living in Pennsylvania with their American born children in 1900. But their two Austrian born daughters, Mary and Helena, were no where to be found.

Then it was time to redefine my search criteria. Instead of searching between 1890 and 1900, when I thought the girls had arrived, I searched for them between 1900 and 1910. And of course they came right up. Again the surname was indexed as Kaveic.






They arrived on 14 December 1902 in New York City and were headed to their father living in East Palestine, Ohio.

Of course in the time it took me to go to the grocery store and get around to my new search, Linda Swisher over at Round Tuit Genealogy had already found the daughters. But since I didn't check my email until after I found the girls, I can pretend that I found them first.

Linda also found a potential candidate for their father's passenger list. Janos Kavulzis fits the June 1892 immigration date that Enos Kavcic gives on his immigration. The ages also match. He was headed to Ohio, another match. But I'm still not sure about the surname. It's a little too different for me. Janos also lists his occupation as a joiner. The only occupation I have for Enos is coal miner in 1900. 


So I am now 3 for 4 in finding the Kavcic family on ships and I have some hints for the last guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment