Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cleaning up the Letter E

I've started a project cleaning up my database. Whenever I finish a letter of the alphabet, I'll write a blog post to report about what I learned about the surnames that start with that letter.

I thought I would never get through the letter E. When your grandfather with an E surname marries your grandmother with another E surname and you have lots of research on their families, it makes for an awful lot of people with E surnames in your database. I didn't find many new things about the E surnames since I just found all the Eiswerth family in German records over the summer. But I did find a few things:
  • I finally took the time to analyze and find the correct 1910, 1920 and 1930 censuses for Agnes C Eiswerth. It would have been easier if there weren't 2 Agnes C Eiswerths in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. It also would have been easier if the Williamsport city directories would list Agnes and help me track her through the years. 
  • I disproved the family story of 3 Eiswerth brothers coming to America. I thought it was just a nice story until I found my 2nd great grandfather's brothers, Jacob and Charles, in Lycoming County. So I had this nice story of 3 brothers coming to America and settling in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. I even wrote about it in the Eiswerth family history I wrote last summer. But then Ancestry had to give me one of their shaky leaves for their brother Marcus. It was the 1900 census and I figured it was just going to be a false hit of someone born in the same month and year as Marcus. But then I found Marcus's second marriage to Dora Travis in the St. Boniface Church records that Ancestry digitized. The marriage record gives his parents as Lewis Eiswerth and Theresa Westrich. And once again I have to admit how much I love those shaky leaves.
Next up is the letter F.

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I love your methodology here. One letter at a time, which assists in diminishing the number of "oh, shiny!" moments that grip far too many of us and sends us off on Snufupagus chases.

    Onward and F-ward...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina, I just read your interview on Geneabloggers, and stopped by because it's rare for me to find a fellow genealogist under the age of 30 (or 50, for that matter). :) I love your idea of going through your database in this way, and it's definitely the kind of project I should be doing. Thanks for the inspiration, and I'll be following you here!

    ~Lianne, Stories of a Canadian Family

    ReplyDelete